The on-going, first-hand tale of a journey through medical oncology... and what happens after.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Colonoscopy 102

The previous post (below this one in the blog) described the preparation for a colonoscopy. Here is my record of the experience itself. First thing was check-in, where they verified who I am and how I planned to pay for the procedure. I was made to read and sign the post-procedure instructions, and then indicate who would be awaiting my recovery and driving me home. This all felt routine and simple to me. Then we sat in the waiting room until my name was called.

A nurse came to get me within about five minutes, and we went back to a comfortable little room. On the way we stopped at a scale (180.2 lbs with clothes and shoes on). The nurse stepped out of the room as she asked me to change out of my clothes and into a standard hospital gown, leaving socks shoes and t-shirt on. (It is a sign of my experience that I knew to tie the back first before pulling the gown over my head.) Then she took the rest of my vital statistics are (height, blood pressure, temperature, etc.) and another nurse came in to prepare my IV line.

Moments later, we walked into the examination room and I climbed onto the exam table. I was quickly introduced to the exam nurses, and one of them attached four monitor patches to my chest and arm. Moments later my doctor arrived and we chatted a little while he gets into his gown, and then he asks me to turn onto my left side. In this position, I could see the video monitor that he would use during the procedure.

Then I was being helped into the van by my wife, who said that everything looks normal.

Then I was in my recliner, waking up to find a note from her telling me that food is on the stove. I ate some bean soup, and fell asleep again. And then I was hungry again. No bloating, no pain, no real memory of anything after turning on my side on the exam table.

Did I drool? Did I say anything funny? Who knows. But the procedure was completely uneventful and straightforward. Every exam should be so simple... and the results so positive.

No comments: